Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving

This was the first year we celebrated Thanksgiving at our house (exciting!).  I tried to resist the urge to go all-out Martha Stewart, but did do a few things that would be considered martha-esque.

I decorated the mantle:



and set the table all fancy-like:



I spent $1 total for decorating the house (I bought fake leaves at Jo Ann because I didn't want to deal with the mess of real leaves).  Most of it is leftover wedding stuff that I'm glad I kept around.

On the menu:

Roasted Turkey
Tofurkey
Stuffing (vegetarian)
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese
Chicken Nugget Kabobs
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie

The total head count was 8 (including three kids) and it was the perfect size for my house.  We didn't have to do two tables or anything, we just had to squeeze in one extra chair at the dining room table.  I did have some trouble with heating food back up after doing a lot of cooking on Wednesday.  I have to admit that I wasn't organized at all as far as putting together a schedule of when things would have to go back into the oven, etc. so when we actually sat down to eat we had less than steaming hot food.  Oh well...I learned my lesson. 

Here's my Mom with my nephews and niece:



My nephew and niece LOVE my cat.  They talked for weeks about coming over to my house and chasing him all over the house.  Percy is such a great sport, and he seems to really like all of the attention (except when they try to pick him up or scare him with screeching).  Inevitably, he always is exhausted after they leave and is usually in a verry cuddly mood with Andy and me. 

Here he is (between naps) post kids:

pert

I can't wait until we can do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment